Thursday 24 August 2017

He Knows My Name

Bible Text: Jeremiah 1:5

When people know our name and try to get to know something more about us we feel special. This shows how important our name is to us. It is our identity. More amazingly, the creator of the universe says He knows you by name. He did not just start knowing you, he knew you even before He formed in your mother's womb. “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5)

The Saviour knowing you by name signifies that he has a purpose for you. He formed you for a reason. You are not a mistake and in order to fulfil this purpose you have to abide in the creator.
 We were created for God's glory: everyone who is called by my name; whom I created for my glory,whom I formed and made. (Isaiah 43:7)

We have all been given gifts in order to serve the body of Christ. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a]faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[b] do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. (Romans 12:4-8)

God who created you and called you by name, and gave you a purpose to fulfil will not just leave you helpless. He has put everything in place to guide and protect you whilst you fulfil his purpose. “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. (Isaiah 43:1-2)

We then must seek God and pray for him to show us our purpose here on earth. We cannot take our talents and hide in the ground as the wicked servant did to his master. We have to diligently use our talents and give back much more than what we were given. For on that day we will hear him say: 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' (Matthew 25:23)



Prayer: Lord Jesus, I commit my life in your hands. Even before you formed me in my mother's womb, you knew my name. Help me to fulfil the purpose you have set aside for me. Equip me to fully give myself to your work that on that day you will call me into your kingdom.

And unto Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we could ever ask or think, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.

Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment