Wednesday 23 August 2017

Taste and See

Bible Text: Psalm 34 

The Psalmist begins on a note of praise to God for the things he had done. The Lord had delivered him from his fears. He was thankful to God, telling of His goodness to everyone. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Thanksgiving should be an integral part of God's children. Most people do not see the need to publicly tell of the wonders of God in their lives. I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. (Psalm 34:4-5)

Here we see how a word of encouragement is brought out of giving thanks to God and testifying about His goodness. We are to testify of God's goodnesss no matter how small we think it is. There may be someone struggling to keep up his faith in God. A word of thanksgiving telling of God's marvelous works would encourage such a person that God can also come through for him.

 In verse 9 we see that it is only those who fear the Lord who receive something from him. In thanking God a word of advice is brought out. A call to fear God is made. Noting clearly that those who fear God will lack nothing. They too will eventually have a cause to Give God thanks.

The Psalmist who had experienced God's goodness calls on us to likewise Taste and See that God is good. In order to taste we have to trust that the one we call upon is able. When we taste we let go of all doubts, closing our eyes to the world and focusing on Jesus, ready to enjoy the delicious flavor of his goodness. Tasting is believing in the amazing Power of the I AM.

When we taste, we will see that he is good. There will be physical evidence of this goodness. Moses tasted and the Red Sea was divided (Exodus 14), Joseph tasted and he was released from prison to be placed in charge of Egypt (Genesis 41:41-43), Elijah tasted and the Lord answered him by fire (1 Kings 18:16-39).

Do not delay, open up your heart, taste and see that the Lord is good. 



Prayer: Lord Jesus, I commit my life in your hands. You are God and there is none like you. Help me to put my trust in You that I may taste and see your goodness.

And unto Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we could ever ask or think, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment