Saturday 27 January 2018

Beware of Pride

Bible Text: Proverbs 16:18

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in a major accomplishment. When we achieve a goal we set for ourselves we feel proud and accomplished. We take pride in our children and our friends. The problem arises when we feel self-sufficient in ourselves. We allow our achievements to depose God's role of being the sustainer of our lives. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

This pride causes us to live our lives on our own terms with no fear of God who is in actual fact the sole provider and sustainer of our lives. In his pride the wicked man does not seek him;in all his thoughts there is no room for God. (Psalm 10:4) 

When we allow pride to feel our hearts it separates us from God. After separation from God our sustainer and provider, destruction is inevitable. (Isaiah 59:2)

Pharaoh was overcome by his pride and would not listen to Moses. In his heart there was no room for God. Obedience to God's instruction was therefore impossible. In the long run he and his whole army were drowned in the waters of the Red Sea. Pharaoh said, “Who is the Lord, that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord and I will not let Israel go.” (Exodus 5:2)

The end of the proud is destruction. Pride which causes us to nullify God's role in our lives leads us to destruction. We must remain humble, acknowledging God's role in our lives by living lives that please him. When the fear of God is in us we will have no room for pride and arrogance. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
 (Proverbs 16:18)


                                      Do you see a person wise in their own eyes?
                             There is more hope for a fool than for them.


Prayer: Lord Jesus, I commit my life in your hands. You are the provider and sustainer of my life. In all things let me acknowledge you in my life that pride Kay have no breathing space in my life.

And unto Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we could ever ask or think, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.





Amen!




No comments:

Post a Comment