Sunday 7 January 2018

You shall have no other gods

Bible Text: Exodus 20:3

The Ten commandments was given to the children of Israel as a guide so they live according to God's standards and enjoy blessings from doing so.

The first two commandments places emphasis on  our relationship with God and its importance. You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below (Exodus 20:3-4)

We mostly hear of a man telling a lady that she is his number one. This sometimes implies that there are others he has but only that she is the number 1. No. This is not how we should treat God. God should not be our number 1 among the many other gods you have, He should be the only One. For he is a jealous God and will not share you with anyone else. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God (Exodus 20:5)

In our present times however things other than wooden or golden idols have taken God's place in our lives. We tend to worship these things and cannot imagine a life without them. These "idols" could be our spouse, children, properties and other things we place our all on. 

Once we bow down to these idols, worshipping these things our love for God grows cold and colder each time. God knows we need these things and he will gladly supply our needs but when we worship the creation instead of the creator we destroy our relationship with the only One we cannot live without, God. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Let God be our only One, and he will surely bless us and the generations after us. the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 2:5-6)

I


Prayer: Lord Jesus, I commit my life in your hands. You are my God and have called me by name. Lord help me to have no other gods before you. 

And unto Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we could ever ask or think, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.



Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment