Thursday 21 September 2017

I have Overcome the World

Bible Text: John 16:16-33

When we watch the news headlines, it is full of grief upon grief. Bombs, Stabbings, Kidnappings, Civil wars and many other terrifying happenings. 

This should not come as a surprise to us for Jesus spoke of such things. In this world you will have trouble. (John 16:33 b) 

The Good news however is that Jesus has overcome the world. The world would give us trouble but we should not be gloomy and hopeless. Jesus says we should be of good cheer, we should be happy irrespective of the many sorrows the world dishes out to us: I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world (John 16:33)

He overcame the world by his sacrifice on the cross and has secured eternity for us in Heaven with him. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:57)


Jesus' final words on the cross "It is Finished"  signifies the completion of his task to bring us full freedom from sin, the World, and an eternity in Heaven. With this in mind, we should heed to the words of Jesus, and be of good cheer, by putting our trust in him whilst patiently waiting for His Second Coming.

Be of good cheer for I have overcome the worl



Prayer: Lord Jesus, I commit my life in your hands. As I patiently wait for you, help me to lean on you in all things so that your hope will be keep me going.

And unto Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we could ever ask or think, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.


Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment